Thursday, May 16, 2013

Dandruff Helper

Hi all! One of the teenage troubles I deal with is dandruff. Little white flakes of skin that look like snow on your hair in summer. Doesn't quite fit, does it?

I've tried different shampoos and what-not, but that doesn't help very much. My mom showed me this really easy trick to try out and it worked really well. It's quick and only involves one ingredient- coconut oil.

It may sound weird, but this stuff is actually amazing. It seems like it's a cure for nearly everything. :)





Anyway, so here is the trick my mom taught me. Grab some coconut oil, I used the Pure, Unrefined, Cold Pressed 100% Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil my mom has. :) Long name, right? They sell it at Costco. It's very good for you and smells really nice.
 So get a spoonful of it, about as much as the photo below.
Brush your hair out and have two hair elastics at the ready. Scoop off half of the oil into your palm and rub your hands together until it melts. Coconut oil melts really fast, so you may want to do this over a sink or paper towel. Run your hands over your scalp and through the hair above it. Make sure you get this on your actual scalp, not just the top of your hair. Grab the rest of the oil and melt it again. This time, run your fingers and palms through the hair that runs down past your scalp. This has nothing to do with dandruff, but it's like a health treatment for your hair.

Now your hair is really oily and looks like you just got out of the shower. Put your hair into two tight braids and fit a comfy hat on your head. You'll wear your hair like this for the rest of the day.

If you take your showers at night, start the treatment in the morning and wear a hat all day, making sure to shampoo and condition your hair well in the shower.

If you take a shower in the morning, start the treatment at night and leave out the hat. Some of the coconut oil on your scalp may rub off onto your pillow though, so you might want to start the treatment a couple hours before bedtime to get the best results. Wash out your hair in the morning.

And that's it! I was hesitant at first as to whether or not this would work, but my scalp isn't as itchy and the dandruff is pretty much gone after only two treatments!

Try it out for yourself and see if it works! Have a great week.
Tirzah

*Disclaimer: I am not a professional beautician. This treatment has not been tested in an actual study and may not work on your hair/head because of different hair length/type, scalp differences, dandruff amounts, portion of coconut oil used, etc. Please follow instructions with care and wisdom.


3 comments:

Amber said...

Thanks for sharing that trick! I also can have troubles with dandruff, and haven't yet tried any special shampoos, but natural sounds better!

Tori said...

Thanks for sharing, I have been having this problem for a few months now and I have tried different kinds of shampoos, but never thought of coconut oil. Thanks!

Kristen said...

Thank you so much for this post, and the comment on my blog, Tirzah! I really appreciate your willingness to help others, and your encouraging comments on my blog. God bless!