Thursday, February 28, 2013

Sugar-Free Grasshopper Frappa Recipe

March is the month of sugar-filled-calorie-loaded-absolutely delicious shamrock shakes. Yum. Yum. YUM. I can hardly resists those smooth, minty green, cold drinks that come out at McDonald's every year. Sigh. But, all truth be told, I can't really afford to buy a  $2-$3 shake every time I get a craving. My mom gave me the brilliant idea to just make my own! Together, we created a sugar-free Grasshopper Frappa. 


It's absolutely delicious!! Now, for those of you who have read or heard of Trim Healthy Mama, this recipe can be treated as an S (for satisfying) or a FP (for fuel pull) when you skip the chocolate and whipped cream! For those of you who have not read the book and think I am speaking a different language, an S is a snack that will satisfy you, while a fuel pull will help you lose weight. Enough with the definitions now, on with the recipe!! :)

This Frappa was based off of the Fat Stripping Frappa in the Trim Healthy Mama cookbook, but we've tampered with it to suit our own tastes! :)

Sugar-Free Grasshopper Frappa

3/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup cold coffee
1/4 tsp. Glucomannan powder (This is a thickener, it's optional, but if you'd like to try it, you can find it *here*.Note: this may not be the best price out there for this ingredient, but it's a good reference.)
3 tsp. Truvia
1/4-1/2 tsp. peppermint flavoring
1/4 tsp. vanilla (I'm just guessing here, I didn't actually measure it. :) )
4 drops green food coloring


Throw all of the above ingredients into a blender. (This is a figure of speech here, don't actually throw the coffee. You might actually end up making a bigger mess than me if you do. And trust me, that is something you do not want to do. ) Blend on medium.


Add about 2-3 glasses of ice. I didn't have the patience to count my ice cubes, so you'll have to go by texture here. Do you want a thin frappa or a thick one? Note: You'll be adding protein powder in a minute, and that will soften - or liquefy- your frappa a little more.

Blend on high. You may have to start and stop the blender a few times to pop air bubbles and shove ice down with a rubber spatula.


When all the ice has been blended in, add half a scoop of protein powder. We use the vanilla flavored whey protein powder from Trader Joes. This ingredient isn't as optional as the gluccoman powder. It transforms your chunky green frappa into a smooth and luscious snack!


Adding the protein powder will also lighten the color of your frappa up quite a bit, so keep this in mind when you're adding the food coloring.

If you're aiming for a fuel-pull, that's it! Pour into a tall glass, add a straw, take a big long slurp and enjoy!!


If you're going for an S frappa, throw some chocolate chunks into the blender for 5-10 seconds. I use skinny chocolate, which is what makes the frappa an S. You could also use chunks of a Lindt Chocolate bar. Aim for a high percentage of cocoa, like 85%, it's bitter, but you don't need very much and it has less calories.  You can hardly taste it when it's surrounded by a smooth and creamy mixture! Those small chocolate chunks give it just the right texture.
Add some sugar free whipped cream and you've got one of the most delicious sugar-free drinks ever! :) 


Oops, okay, I confess. Sprinkles are made out of sugar. I just now realized that. Please ignore them and pretend they are there for photographic purposes only. :D 

I love to split this frappa with my mom in the afternoon! It makes just under four cups. I hope you enjoy this recipe! Let me know what you think if you decide to try it out!!

Tirzah

I'm linking this post up with Trim Healthy Tuesday!

8 comments:

Chrystie said...

I just found you on Six Sisters linky party! I'm your newest follower! I look forward to trying this drink it looks yumo, thanks for sharing!! :)

meandmr.com said...

Newest follower here! I found you through the six sisters' stuff blog hop :) You have a super cute blog, I can't wait to read more. You can find me at meandmr.com

-Melanie @meandmr.com

Stacy Makes Cents said...

YUMMO!!! Always looking for great Frappa variations. :-) You should link up your THM creations at Trim Healthy Tuesday!

Gwen said...

This looks yummy! Thanks for linking up. :)

Jenn said...

Enjoyed this today with extra frozen coffee, thanks! :-)

Tana said...

You can use spinach for the green color... I do and you cannot taste it.

Anonymous said...

Best THM Frappa Yet!! :) I Love it! Had it for a quick dinner. Thanks. :)

Sophia @ Pray. Work. Eat said...

I LOVE this variation on the Fat Stripping Frappa! It tastes wonderful!! :) I hope you come up with more rockin' recipes just like this one. ;)